• Magnesium is an essential mineral in human nutrition with a wide range of biological functions.
• Low Mg states are associated with several serious diseases such as congestive heart failure, ischaemic heart disease, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension, mitral valve prolapse, metabolic syndrome, stroke, diabetes mellitus, hyperlipidaemia, pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.
• Although supplementation is traditionally used to correct or avoid deficiency states, research has also shown a role in the management of numerous disease states, e.g. cardiovascular disease, premenstrual syndrome, dysmenorrhoea, migraine prevention, diabetes, kidney stone prevention, osteoporosis prevention, dyspepsia and constipation. Preliminary research also suggests a possible benefit in asthma, women with detrusor muscle instability (incontinence) and pregnancy-induced leg cramps.
• Oral Mg supplements are also used in a variety of different conditions, most notably, those involving muscle spasm or tension, pain and/or psychological and physical symptoms of stress and hyperexcitability.
• Numerous drug interactions exist, so care should be taken to ensure safe use.
Answers to Patients’ Frequently Asked Questions
What will this supplement do for me?
Magnesium is essential for health and wellbeing. Although used to prevent or treat deficiency states, it is also used to alleviate many conditions such as cardiovascular disease and PMS, and prevent migraine and muscular spasms.
When will it start to work?
This will depend on the indication it is being used to treat.
Are there any safety issues?
In high doses, supplements can cause diarrhea. High-dose supplements should not be used by people with severe kidney disease or heart block.