• Policosanol can be considered an efficacious lipid-lowering treatment that may be used in cases where other treatment has been either ineffective or poorly tolerated Numerous, randomised double-blind trials confirm activity.
• Comparative studies with statin drugs have generally produced positive results.
• It does not appear to significantly reduce triglyceride levels; however, it has been used successfully with omega-3 essential fatty acids to reduce total cholesterol levels and triglycerides.
• It is also a safe and potentially useful treatment in claudication.
• Policosanol has significant platelet aggregation inhibitor activity.
• Safety studies indicate that it is well tolerated and has a wide safety margin.
Answers to Patients’ Frequently Asked Questions
What can this supplement do for me?
Policosanol can significantly lower cholesterol levels. Studies suggest this effect is as strong as conventional cholesterol-lowering medications. It also has some blood-thinning activity, is effective in intermittent claudication and can increase total walking distance.
When will it start to work?
Generally, results are observed after approximately 8 weeks’ continuous use.
Are there any safety issues?
Policosanol has a wide safety margin and is well tolerated.