Insufficient reliable data are available to determine whether interactions may occur.
Contraindications and Precautions
Likely to be safe when consumed in dietary amounts; however, safety is not known when used in larger quantities.
Practice Points / Patient Counselling
• Wild yam is a popular root vegetable in some parts of the world.
• It is also a popular ingredient in commercial herbal formulas developed for menopausal women.
• Wild yam has been touted as having progesteronal and/or oestrogenic activity, but current evidence suggests this is unlikely.
• There is no clinical or scientific evidence to support the use of wild yam in treatment of conditions of the female reproductive system.
• Wild yam root may be useful as an antispasmodic. Its use as a natural hormone appears misguided.